Thursday, August 12, 2010

Random Wikiness #1

I love Wikipedia. Who doesn't? I mean, everything on there is completely true and no need to look any further for any research. I spend my lunch break (sometimes an hour, sometimes ten minutes) surfing through Wikiworld. But since I work for the guvment, the man, I have to be careful of what I look at out there in the wide world of the web. Big Brother is always watching, monitoring, waiting... for me to look at something totally inappropriate and unnecessary to my job function so they can take my children's health insurance away *knocks on wood*. Love the random article, until I ended up on anal bleaching one day. Uhhh, can't really explain how that applies to my job, but quite interesting nonetheless.

So my random article for the day (at home) is Bonestell crater on Mars, named after some space artist named Chesley Bonestell. Really, who gives a fuck? Not a great random article. Makes me think that Chesley Bonestell was a bum ass artist who needed a niche in the 50's and 60's and hopped on the JFK space exploration train. Or whatever president it was. I know a little bit about art and I've never heard of this guy, so I'm thinking he probably wasn't that great, except to maybe get some stuff in the Smithsonian Space Museum, or whatever it's called. I'm not even interested enough to click on Bonestell's name, but instead prefer to imagine him a beatnik spending his time smoking a little dope, listening to bad poetry, trying to get laid, and doing a little art here and there. Basically what all the other beatniks did. Which would be nothing.  Come to think of it, I think the beatniks are probably like the goths of today. Engage in weird and strange stuff that gets parents, educators and law enforcement riled up, but all together, doesn't amount to shit.

I do remember a guy named Chesley McNeil, though, and I'm sure I spelled his last name wrong, who was the fill in meteorologist on a local channel a few years ago, maybe ten years or so ago, who forecast the weather while channeling a really clean and family friendly Chris Rock. I don't know what happened to him, Chesley McNeil, but he was a decent forecaster. Basically gave you the current weather conditions, told you what might happen and what might not, and acted like he didn't give a fuck if the weather did something totally different. He was not a Ken doll, was probably not politically correct, was not white, and that's probably why he's not with that channel anymore. Moved on to bigger and better things, I suppose. As for the Bonestell crater, again... Who cares?

No comments: