Friday, March 18, 2011

Stupid Shit I Look At When I'm Sick

Stupid stuff I look at on the internet when I'm too sick to go to work, but recuperated enough that I can actually walk and stay upright for most of the day. Maybe I'll give my commentary after each item, and maybe I won't. Thank god for the history thingy on my internet because most of this shit is so stupid it's already left my brain.

And not in the order of the clicking:

1. Amazon - "The Official Filthy Rich Handbook" and "True Prep: It's a Whole New Old World". I came across this after I read an article in Virginia Living in the sick waiting room of the pediatrician's office today detailing the new prep, complete with models from our very own men's single-sex college right near where I grew up (and where I never, EVER behaved badly) and their more delicate (although those girls can usually drink pretty hard) counterparts from one of the women's colleges within a two hour drive. All of the models were wearing preppy clothes and posing like an Abercrombie ad. All first names were unisex. None of them looked like they might be partaking in student aid. I like that Amazon has taken some of their books and put some of the pages on a PDF-type format so you can review/read prior to purchase, but I felt like I would have gotten more out of that particular kind of viewing if they had put ALL of the pages on the PDF-type format so I could have just read the entire book for free without having to inconvenience myself by going to the library or the Big Box Bookstore. Gas is too expensive to be running back and forth to the library. And for some reason I always feel like going to the library is a little to liberal for me. I don't know why, but I'm just unsettled by the whole loaner thing.

2. Blogger - My blog, of course! Duh. Not editing, just reading obsessively and adding,more,commas. I,love,commas,can't,you,tell? I like to think that I make the comma work for me, not the other way around.

3. Wikipedia - Holy god this is a long list, and really quite indicative of the odd mish-mash of stuff going through my head at any given point in time. Here goes: Ax Men. Beaver Hunt. Bell's Palsy. Bob Guccione. Chex Mix. Collegiate secret societies in North America. Diavik Diamond Mine. Elaine Benes. Farmville, Virginia (the guy I graduated from high school with and who gave me the stash that got me suspended for six weeks is no longer listed as a notable resident), Gloria Steinem, Legionellosis, Rachael Harris, Playboy Bunny, Playboy Mansion, Seven Society, The Lady of Rage, Wikipedia, Zach Galifianakis.   Okay, so with Wikipedia one click leads to another leads to another and before you know it a whole freaking three hours is gone and you're only less-than smarter for it.

4. facebook - self explanatory. What did I do before facebook? Oh, right, I had a life.

5. Google - But I didn't Google myself. Today.

6. J. Peterman - This is how I ended up on Elaine Benes in #3. Trying to figure out what catalog that was.

7. Overrated Children's Gymnastics Place - This is the place that I would not be using now for the younger daughter if I didn't have a credit on my account from when the older daughter broke her arm last spring.

8. Spiegel - Wow! That stuff on clearance is really cheap, considering it's Spiegel.

9. Williamsburg Marketplace - Secretly, I'm a snob when it comes to my home decor. I can't afford any of this shit now, but a girl can plan. Hello, super-gorgeous pineapple trivet! I'll be back for you another year!

And there you have it. This is what I do when I'm cooped up in the house half-sick with a whole-sick child. I am still pleased with the fact that I have managed to quit craigslist cold turkey. I guess that's what keeping the company of an occasionally nekkid man will do for you.

No comments: